· 100g softened butter
· 100g caster sugar
· 1 large egg, beaten
· 225 plain flour, sieved
· 2 teaspoons baking powder
· ¼ – ½ of freshly grated nutmeg seed
· ½ – 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
· 50g walnuts, chopped
1. Heat the oven to Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C.
2. In a large bowl mix together the butter, sugar and egg
3. Using a spatula gently fold in the flour and baking powder until they are half mixed in, then add the bananas and walnuts and carry on gently folding in until all the ingredients are combined – do not overmix or the cake will be tough and heavy.
4.Pour the mixture into a prepared tin and then bang the tin on the counter to get rid of any air bubbles.
5.Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
6.Allow the cake to cool on a wire rack before removing from the loaf tin.